MCCYN is a fee assistance program that keeps affordable child care in reach for eligible families. It’s intended for families who cannot access military-operated care due to distance or waitlists. With fee assistance, a portion of your child care cost is paid to reduce the cost of using community-based care. The goal is to make it easier for you to afford quality child care from local community providers when you cannot access child care on a military installation.
Fee assistance is available for:
- Families working within the continental United States, Hawaii, and Alaska.
- Children from birth through age 12.
DoD has several MCCYN programs available to DoD civilians. To find the program available for your family, refer to the information below.
Other DoD Civilians
NATIONAL RECONNAISSANCE OFFICE (NRO)
NRO MCCYN is available to National Reconnaissance Office employees.
- Your total family income must be less than Level IV of the Executive Schedule.
- If married, your eligibility is not based on your spouse’s status (i.e., you are eligible whether your spouse is employed, seeking employment, a student, or not employed).
OFFICE OF NET ASSESSMENT (ONA)
ONA MCCYN is available to Office of Net Assessment employees regardless of income. If married, your eligibility is not based on your spouse’s status (i.e., you are eligible whether your spouse is employed, seeking employment, a student, or not employed).
OTHER DEFENSE AGENCY or FIELD ACTIVITY
DoD Civilian MCCYN is available to employees of other DoD Agencies and Field Activities.
- Your total family income must be $90,000 per year or less.
- If married, your spouse must be employed, actively seeking employment, or a full-time student.
- In addition, employees must be either:
- Employed at an installation that has been pre-identified as fee assistance eligible, or
- Not living near a DoD installation with a Child and Youth program.
When you complete your MCCYN registration, you must submit documentation to verify your eligibility. What's required is based on your sponsor type and spouse’s status if you are married.
Note: If you are affiliated with the Air Force, Army, Navy, or Marine Corps, visit your Service's MCCYN page for required documents.
- All sponsors must provide a Self-Certification Form that includes all your dependent children who will receive fee assistance.
- In addition, you must provide either a
- Personnel Action Request Form (SF-50 form) which shows annual income, or
- Most recent Civilian Leave and Earnings Statement (CLES)
If you are applying for DoD Civilian MCCYN, the required documents are based on your spouse's status.
Working Spouse must provide one of the following.
- One month or 4 weeks of pay stubs,
- If newly employed, a letter from your employer with the date of hire, hours worked per week, and weekly/monthly salary, or
- If self-employed, a Certification of Self Employment Form PLUS a gross earnings statement from your business’s tax information, or if you do not have a tax return for the business, a signed, written estimate of anticipated annual earnings. You can estimate your annual earnings by multiplying your 90-day income by 4.
Student Spouse must provide a school schedule that includes the student’s name, the school’s name, the number of enrolled credits, and the period of the current semester.
Spouse Seeking Employment do not provide documentation. You may receive fee assistance for a one-time 90-day period while you look for work. You must then provide proof of employment to continue to receive benefits.
Before benefit payments can be issued to your provider:
- They must be approved to participate in MCCYN.
- You must submit an MCCYN Cost Worksheet for each provider that will care for your child(ren). The MCCYN Cost Worksheet collects all required information about the child care rates your family will be charged, including discounts, effective dates, rate changes, rate frequency, and the schedule of care.
TOTAL FAMILY INCOME CALCULATION
Your Total Family Income (TFI) will be verified if you accept an offer for fee assistance. If your income exceeds the income restriction, you will not be eligible for benefits. TFI is the total annual gross pay for you and your spouse, if applicable. Refer to the TFI Family Tip Sheet for guidance on what income to include when calculating your TFI.
PARTICIPATING MCCYN PROVIDERS
You may access the most current list of participating MCCYN providers when searching for care by selecting the View MCCYN Providers link under the MCCYN program profile. If you've requested fee assistance, you can access the list under your MCCYN request on your "My Child Care" page or in the Provider Information section of your "My MCCYN" page if you have received and accepted an offer for MCCYN.
If there are no providers in your area, or your provider is not listed, you may choose your own provider. All providers must meet the eligibility requirements, apply, and be approved to participate in the MCCYN Fee Assistance Program.
MCCYN BENEFIT FORM TIP SHEET
If you are employed by the Navy or an agency affiliated with DoD, then you or your provider must complete and submit monthly a Fee Assistance Benefit Form before your fee assistance benefit can be processed. Review the Benefit Form Tip Sheet to learn how to complete and submit the form.
Community providers interested in participating in the MCCYN program must complete and submit the MCCYN Provider Interest Form.
The DoD is committed to providing affordable, quality child and youth care in a safe, healthy, and nurturing environment. To do that, all DoD-funded programs must meet strict quality standards. Learn more about the quality standards that MCCYN participating providers meet. Exceptions to the quality standards may be approved on a case-by-case basis.
From here, download the commonly requested forms and resources referenced on this page.
Note: If you are affiliated with the Air Force, Army, Navy, or Marine Corps visit your Service's MCCYN page.
Certification of Self Employment
MCCYN Cost Worksheet
MCCYN Benefit Form Tip Sheet
Family Guide to Total Family Income
FY23 MCCYN Parent Fees