Department of Defense School Liaison Program
School liaisons serve as the primary point of contact for pre-K through 12th grade school-related matters of military-connected children. The School Liaison Program offers an array of services and resources to support students, parents, installation leadership, schools, and the surrounding community. They inform parents about local schools, graduation requirements, after-school programs, homeschooling, and much more. By working together with these stakeholders, the School Liaison Program builds a support network to provide the best possible education experience for military-connected children and youth worldwide.
The School Liaison Program goals are to:
- Provide students, parents, and school personnel with the tools they need to navigate education-related challenges that stem from the military lifestyle
- Identify barriers to academic success and develop solutions
- Promote parental involvement and educate local communities and schools regarding the needs of military children
- Develop and coordinate partnerships in education
- Represent, inform, and assist command
- Assist military families with educational issues
- Collaborate with local school systems
- Forge partnerships between the military, community, and schools
School Liaisons provide a wide variety of services for students and families, including:
- Transition support
- Deployment support
- Alternative schooling support
- Special education information, navigation, and connections
- Youth Sponsorship Program support and referral
- College, career, and military readiness
- Parent and educator workshops
School Liaisons are located at each installation to provide information as well as build partnerships between the civilian and military community to address common education challenges of military families. School Liaisons are also an initial contact for participation in the Youth Sponsorship Program which builds resilience in youth and eases the transition.
School Liaison support is available at no cost and open to all Department of Defense identification card holders, educators who serve military students, and community partners involved with pre-K-12 education. For more information about the School Liaison Program, visit the Military OneSource article How School Liaisons Help Students Realize Education Goals and More.
Find contact information for your local installation school liaison office on the MilitaryINSTALLATIONS website. Whether you're planning a move to your next installation or want to know more about your current duty station, MilitaryINSTALLATIONS, one of many free resources from Military OneSource, is the place to get answers. Use it to find installation overviews, contacts for programs and services, check-in procedures and community information for installations worldwide.